Holy shit guys, London is so expensive! I spent last weekend there, and holy shit! Did you know it’s £4.90 for one tube ride without an Oyster card???? That’s so expensive! That’s almost 24 złoty! I can buy a whole meal, with a drink and a side for 24 złoty! Do you know what the tram costs here?? Only 3 złoty! Like, I just looked at my bank statement, and I spent £30 on lunch one day, which ends up being almost 150 zł. Lord have mercy.
Anyway, here are some super helpful and only slightly sarcastic tips for saving money in London:
1. Know someone who lives in London, and by some miracle has enough room for you to stay with, even if it’s on a dorm-issued mattress next to their bed.
2. Only go to free museums, which is luckily most of them. The National Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum, Tate (Britain and Modern), National Portrait Gallery. Seriously, about 70% of my time was spent in museums. Which, as an aspiring art hoe, is actually quite fun for me. The Tate Modern even has free tours in each gallery every half hour (and not like free walking tour free where you have to tip at the end, but actually free). And don’t be intimidated when they ask you for a pound for a map; it’s just a suggested donation. Also, you probably don’t need a map.
3. Use free WiFi, available at most museums mentioned above.
4. Control the weather so it’s sunny and you can enjoy a free picnic in the park.
5. Find an oyster card on the ground with £3.20 already on it. Take the bus instead of the tube. Or just walk. Walk until your feet bleed. The blood can also double as fabric dye!
6. Participate in an anti-Brexit march. It’s free, and it takes you past all the main sights like Trafalgar Square, the London Eye, and Westminster.
7. Buy a bottle for Polish vodka from the airport before your flight. Pre-game with a couple nice, long pulls because those drinks be expensive.
8. Instead of trying the latest Instagram-ready food trend, skip the line and get taiyaki and egg custard tarts at a Chinese bakery for half the price.
9. Don’t go to London. Just don’t. Want to see Big Ben? I think they have a fake one in Las Vegas. Go there instead.
10. Just kidding, London is amazing! You should definitely go!